Janine Dawson was walking through her neighborhood in Manchester, England, when suddenly she heard frantic meowing coming from somewhere. Concerned, she was able to quickly trace where the sound was coming from — and discovered Simba, her neighbor’s cat, trapped between two houses.
Somehow, the adventurous cat had gotten himself wedged in a gap between the two houses, and was unable to get himself out again. Once he realized he was very stuck, he started meowing, and didn’t stop until someone finally found him. As soon as she realized what a predicament Simba was in, Dawson contacted the RSPCA in hopes that someone there would be able to help him.
After the call came through, the RSPCA sent animal collection officer Emma Pollard and inspector Nichola Waterworth out to the neighborhood to asses the situation. At first, they were both a little shocked and dismayed when they saw just how stuck Simba was, and were worried his situation was more than they were equipped to handle.
“The poor cat was well and truly stuck in the gap and was crying very loudly,” Pollard said in a press release. “At one point, I feared we wouldn’t be able to free him.”
Pollard attempted to stick her hand down into the gap to try and pull Simba free, but the gap was just too narrow. After a few failed attempts, they decided to contact the Heywood Community Fire Crew for further assistance.
The firefighters were planning on moving some bricks to gain better access to Simba — but before they could, Simba suddenly got a burst of energy …
… and was able to move himself close enough to the firefighters for them to finally pull him safely out of the gap.
Throughout the entire rescue, Simba never stopped meowing, letting his rescuers know he was OK, and still fighting to get himself free.
“When he was finally pulled free he was very subdued so we took him to the RSPCA’s Greater Manchester Animal Hospital for a check-up where he was given the all-clear,” Pollard said. “It’s great when a rescue like this has a happy ending and we are able to reunite a much-loved pet with their owner.”
Simba’s owner, Sania Anwar, was at work during the entire rescue, and when she got home, Dawson was there waiting for her to let her know what had happened, and that Simba was safe. Anwar went straight to the animal hospital to pick him up, and was overjoyed that he was safe and had somehow come out of the whole ordeal healthy and unharmed.
“Normally when I come home from work and park on the driveway Simba always comes running up to meet me, but he didn’t that day,” Anwar said in a press release. “When I got back home that evening, Janine came out to meet me and I knew straight away there would be something wrong with Simba. I’m so grateful to her and those who rescued him.”